Saturday, August 27, 2011
Dining Chairs: Restained & Recovered
And I didn't take step by step pictures for one main reason, I did a shoddy job (& my excuse at the time was that I was almost 10 months pregnant).
Basically, I loosely cut the fabric, folded it over the old nasty stuff and shot staples into it:
But from this angle all you see are neat, pretty cushions. And I'm perfectly okay with that.
I did use two different colors of Minwax stain, Red Oak and Jacobean, to achieve this color. But again, I wasn't too careful or methodical about the staining part either. I laid a towel down, set the chair on top, and applied the two stains in rotation with a disposable paint brush (my recommendation for wood stains). I was in the "get er done" mode...about to have a baby ya know.
Anyway, even though my chairs are happy now, I am still fawning over these. And I'm sure I'll make them happen someday.
But for now, my main concern is textile overload. (Because I am obsessed with them.) And I am getting ready to recover my ottoman in this oil cloth:
It needs to be my main textile because it is the centerpiece of our living room/dining room. And it needs to be my main textile because it is LOUD and cheery and totally stands on its own. (And my living area is teeny tiny.) So I will support it with solids. Which really all that means for me right now is sewing new covers for my two throw pillows.
Posted by Crystal Keilers, that's me.