Saturday, August 27, 2011

Dining Chairs: Restained & Recovered



Before:


After:


And I didn't take step by step pictures for one main reason, I did a shoddy job (& my excuse at the time was that I was almost 10 months pregnant).

Basically, I loosely cut the fabric, folded it over the old nasty stuff and shot staples into it:




But from this angle all you see are neat, pretty cushions. And I'm perfectly okay with that.


I did use two different colors of Minwax stain, Red Oak and Jacobean, to achieve this color. But again, I wasn't too careful or methodical about the staining part either. I laid a towel down, set the chair on top, and applied the two stains in rotation with a disposable paint brush (my recommendation for wood stains). I was in the "get er done" mode...about to have a baby ya know.

Anyway, even though my chairs are happy now, I am still fawning over these. And I'm sure I'll make them happen someday.



But for now, my main concern is textile overload. (Because I am obsessed with them.) And I am getting ready to recover my ottoman in this oil cloth:



It needs to be my main textile because it is the centerpiece of our living room/dining room. And it needs to be my main textile because it is LOUD and cheery and totally stands on its own. (And my living area is teeny tiny.) So I will support it with solids. Which really all that means for me right now is sewing new covers for my two throw pillows.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Love it my talented friend! You rock! I really love the style of that table and chairs, so cool.

Crystal Keilers said...

Thank you Jess. Yeah, I should've mentioned that the chairs were a hand me down that my dad had to reinforce and the table was a Craigs List find (of course;).

Christy said...

Turned out cute and I love that oil cloth pattern....makes me happy!

Eileen said...

GREAT job on the chairs, truly, what a transformation!

Nic said...

your DYI projects are all so amazing, thank you for all the tips!

Crystal said...

Nic, you are so welcome. Thanks for stopping by!