Thursday, February 3, 2011

Silk Scarf Pillows



I started with two silk scarves:



(lost camera temporarily, so the rest will be all text, so sorry.)

Step 1: I cut each of scarf down to a 22" square for my 20" pillow forms (about 1.5-2 inch seam allowance). Also cut my backing fabric (the berry red silk) to match, same size.

Step 2: Ironed fusible interfacing onto the back of each scarf, about a 23" square (and it didn't stick perfectly because I couldn't have the heat on high, but it still provided additional durability to the silk).

Step 3: Sewed a flannel lining to each scarf to add even more strength (and protection from the pokey feathers in the down pillow forms that I used).

Step 4: Sewed right (pretty) side of scarf to right (pretty) side of back fabric, leaving one side open to stick the pillow form into.

Step 5: Turned pillow cover right side out and stuffed it with my 20" inch down pillow form.

Step 6: Folded the bottom edges under and pinned them closed. Then sewed the bottom closed...thus forever trapping my pillow form. (If I knew how to sew a zipper, or had the patience to do a folded envelope closure, I would've done one of those instead.)

I remembered seeing silk scarf pillows in my Martha Stewart Living Magazine sometime last year and sure enough I just found her tutorial online. I obviously didn't use her tutorial, but you make like it better. She is much more polished and by the book than I am, I mean she is Martha Stewart afterall. (I hear the woman sleeps with her light on and a memo pad & pen on her night stand.)

But the coolest thing about this project is most of you probably have a vintage scarf or two lying around that you could easily make into a little pillow. The white one with circles was my mother-in-laws, she gave it to me a while ago, and I knew I wanted to do something special with it. And I thought this was the perfect project because now we use it everyday.

And just in case you missed the felt flower pillow, you can catch it here.

5 comments:

Jolene Grace said...

I just LOVE you. These are stunningly gorgeous. Tell me again why you live there and I live here, so many miles away? Miss you.

Crystal said...

Jolene, between you and Jess I may just have to pack up my new baby and move on down there ;). xo

emily said...

oh my goodness! I've looked through most of your blog and i'm loving all your crafty projects! REALLY like these pillows....and your blog makes me miss you :)

Shipra Panosian said...

Oh, I've been missing out on your wonderful creativity. These are just wonderful!

Silvia Jacinto said...

There are things in our life that is not eternal thus we stand still and never show weaknesses. This only means that we are strong enough to face everything either it is big or small. Visit my site for more good vibes and inspirational thoughts. Good day!

n8fan.net

www.n8fan.net