Monday, January 31, 2011

DIY Felt Flowers





Step 1: Cut your circle (my Olfa Circle cutter makes this a cinch):


Step 2: Spiral cut your circle


Keep going...


...all of the way to the center



Step 3: And here's where I differ from most tutorials...roll your spiral around the circle...


Step 4: And glue only the tail to your edge. The reason I prefer the circle being in the center and initially gluing only the tail (with the edges not being entirely secured) is because you will be able to manipulate and play with your flower and give it more texture later on (as opposed to being left with a very tightly rolled bud).



Volia...


I repeat Steps 1-4 with a slightly smaller circle and glue it into the center, on top, of the first circle (don't worry if you're covering up part of your flower, this adds body):



Same thing, repeat Steps 1-4 with an even smaller circle and add it to the others:


Here's to give you an idea of the size of my circles:


Step 6: I also make a tiny center roll:


And add it to the center. Again, we're just creating more dimension.


And for the finishing touches, I just twist and tuck and glue the petals to give them movement and texture.





Now this "How to" was for the largest flower on my wreath, but for the smaller ones you only need to layer one or two circles (instead of three)...and I always add one tiny center roll, the most charming part in my eyes.

Itz Fitz provided the inspiration for my wreath.

And Eighteen 25 (an incredibly cool blog I now subscribe to) was my spring board for "how to" make felt flowers.

14 comments:

Jessica said...

ohhhhh.... LOVE them! Thanks for the tutorial, I am going to do that :)

Jessica said...

p.s. Why can't you live next door? :) I <3 U!

Rhonda said...

LOVE these Crystal!
Love your whole wreath.

Crystal Keilers said...

Thanks Ladies =). Jess, you have no idea how much I wish that I lived next door to you!

Amy said...

WHY oh why didn't I know how crafty you were when we lived in the same city?? Sigh...

Crystal, those are beautiful! I have no hope of making something like that. I am seriously, SERIOUSLY deficient in activities involving my hands. ;)

Love your couch and love the cushions too! Did you make 'em? Wait, don't even tell me. I'm already jealous.

Jolene Grace said...

You are amazing, woman. Love your style. The wreath is adorable, as are these fun flowers! Love the step by step, play by play instructions too. So easy!

Crystal Keilers said...

Amy, I didn't do much creative stuff when you were still here. It's all started with my sewing machine a couple of years ago...

And you are probably great with your hands, you just gotta keep making stuff. You would seriously crack up if you saw some of the stuff that I made a few years ago. Seriously, you'd crack up....it was baaaad.

And you nudged me to post my silk scarf pillows ;).

Caligrafia Bella said...

Hi Crystal! This is Arely, from SMU. You probably don't even remember me, but I went to VCM back in the day... and well, I love your website!!!! I'm totally going to follow, if that's okay <3
I wish I had seen this post on time to make a Christmas ornament for MY door!! I'm thinking the flower part of it, though, can be used for so much!! Hmm... inspiration for the DIY bride maybe!
Anyways ~hope you are doing great. Congrats on the baby boy!! How exciting.

Eileen said...

Love the felt flowers! Really looks wonderful on the wreath! Great job! E-e

Shipra Panosian said...

um, ok...seriously?? Wow! This wreath is so whimsical, I might just have to go get myself an Olfa Circle Cutter and get busy.

xoxo Carolynn said...

I LOVE this tutorial, I have been making flowers with my 5 yo daughter lately and we love finding different ways to make them. SO CUTE, great post so detailed and easy to follow, THANK YOU so much!

Krista S. said...

LOVE this!!!! Did you use store bought bakers twine or make your own? Thanks for the Turorial!

Crystal Keilers said...

Sorry Krista, I posted a comment weeks ago & I guess it never posted? I used yarn from Michaels. I saw it there the other day, so I know they still have it. It's a smaller spool and I think it may be cotton.

bonekartun asiyah said...

so cute love this so much... thank you very much