Saturday, November 20, 2010

DIY Folded Felt Flower Pillow

I made this pillow recently (as I happily procrastinated between packing and unpacking and cleaning and organizing and laundry...):









You will need:

1)   2 yards of felt

You can buy 2 yards of medium quality at Joanns 
or
3-5  18" squares of high quality felt from Felt on the Fly
*The main difference between the two is how it will wear over time (and the price of course).  
The medium quality pills, the high quality has very little pilling.  I vote high quality if it's in the budget.

2)   Glue gun with lots of glue sticks

3) Olfa circle cutter (unless you are gifted at cutting your own circles)

4) Sewing machine (if you're making a pillow & not just the flowers)





I've been wanting to make a felt pillow ever since I this one online like a year ago:



But for the life of me I couldn't quite figure out how to mimic those roses (however, now I think I might've discovered how they did it). So, when I saw a similar style in this post I got busy immediately (and yes, ignored the packing that had to be done). Here's my how to (which includes a couple "cheaters" tips):

Cheaters tip #1, Olfa Rotary Circle Cutter (which I bought at Joanns with a 40% off coupon). SO much time and frustration saved with this gadget:



Fold once (I put a dab of glue in the center, my others cheaters tip):



Fold twice (& put another dab of glue):



If you're not using glue, this is where you sew.



If you are (like me!) glue again in the center of the second fold



Find center & measure even borders to form a square (I use tailors chalk to mark my square):





Cheaters tip #2, The fine tipped glue gun. At about this phase I ran out of patience with the sewing of each rosette (yeah I think I made it to 3) and resorted to the glue gun (don't judge). And I don't think I touched the sewing needle after that.





After much gluing (and tender finger tips) here's the end result:



And I'll post more pics when it's stuffed and happy on my couch.

11 comments:

Liene Stevens said...

This actually looks like something I could attempt and have a shot of being successful at. How much felt did you need and about how many circles did you end up with? I am terrible at projecting/guessing those things (part of my craft-aversion).

Crystal said...

It's so easy and so pretty when it's all done (if I do say so myself;). I used about 2 yds of felt and I bought the more expensive felt (if you go to Joanns it's on the smaller bolts, not the giants ones against the wall). And of course I printed off a coupon ;).

Rhonda said...

Very cute!

jazmikkutty said...

really nice!

Kirsten Smith said...

Adorable! I think that the Olfa Rotary Cutter is now on my "buy on Black Friday" list! Let's get together for coffee soon. I'd happily make a special trip in to Dallas for a visit. ;)

Christy said...

Oh thats cute friend. :)

mommy4 said...

love, love, love, this! avery is working on her sewing badge for girl scouts and i think she can do this! it looks just lovely! way to ago, and thank you for sharing.

Jolene Grace said...

I just LOVE this! You are amazing!

Eileen said...

VERY cute! LOVE this!

April said...

beautiful!!! i love it!!!

Glitterdoll said...

You are so talented! I wish I were more homey and crafty. You make it look so easy!Oh and I heard that you are having a boy! So exciting. You will be a wonderful mommy. xo