Sunday, April 18, 2010

It happened...



Being a [proud] native Californian, I grew up having the best & most affordable Mexican food at my fingertips. I ate bean, rice and cheese burritos weekly. Enter Dallas. There are renditions of what Dallasites call "Tex-Mex", but they hold no candle to my beloved Californian, lard loving, burrito shacks.

But the other day it happened...I found one. Rico's Tacos. While this Texan shack has no savory beans or rice, they sell homemade, well-marinated, tacos and sugar cane coke (ahem, of which has 58 grams of sugar). And so, for a brief moment, I reached into my wallet, pulled out four crisp dollar bills and enjoyed this nostalgic event. And vowed to come back regularly.

6 comments:

Christy said...

OMG that is so funny because both times we were in Texas and New York we were craving Mexican food. We were so happy when we got back here and could run to Rosie's. Thats a sure sign we are spoiled Californians huh? :) Those tacos look amazing but whats Coke with sugar cane?

Rhonda said...

Oh I would miss good Mexican food. Yay that you found some. And that picture is making me hungry for a good taco!

Crystal said...

Christy, sugar cane instead of high fructose corn syrup, it's really yummy (or were you just being rhetorical?;).

mommy4 said...

Crystal, I had no idea you liked those tacos. I could have told you about several places to hit up. We all loooove those tacos, and with lime y chile verde! ayyyy! We have a friend that goes to Mexico frequently and we always ask him to bring us back those Cokes, they are ahhhmazing!!

Eileen said...

Ditto on missing California Mexican food... and the chili relleno burritos from that little place at the "bottom of the hill." - (I forgot the name already, my bad.) Rosa Maria's? Is that it? We also have a Taco Lita in Arcadia that still exists... our family went to that place ALL THE TIME for their Jumbo Burrito. Hey, who started this conversation anyway... Crystal, you are making my mouth water!!!

Christy said...

No I really was curious about the Coke. I dont drink soda so I had never heard of it. Besides who called who "wide" in a previous post? ;) He,hee! Love ya girly.