Thursday, January 7, 2010

Esquire Article



I read THIS article today and it really made me think. The idea that "Love wins" is what resonated with me the most. It made me think about the fact that Love is what captured my heart initially and is what now continually changes me.
Not judgement. Not self-introspection. Not perfectionism.
It's the simple, profound, deep love of God that gets me every time.
His love touching my humanity. Loving all my uglies.

I also poked around on the authors website and it's incredible all of the things that they're doing to, in their words, "resurrect their community." Building schools and parks in what used to house drugs and violence.
I am moved when people band together to bring such transformation to a little pocket of their city.

"Every waterfall begins with a single raindrop."

While we were in South Africa a couple of years ago I had a similar ah-ha moment. While I was holding this feverish baby with a horrible abscess and two infected ears, it dawned on me that all of the people that were involved in the long-term care of these HIV positive babies and adults were like a speck of sand on the seashore of this AIDS empedemic in South Africa. Seemingly insignificant. It also dawned on me that if we would all wholeheartedly do our part, with God as the substance of our "speck", our world could experience healing, our seashores could overflow. One tiny corner of each city at a time. One little life at a time. With Love flowing through us. Flow through me Lord.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Beautiful post friend :) I love you!

Christy said...

I agree, great post. I am overwhelmed that God thinks to use us to change the world one person at a time. Loving them, being there for them and truly just letting Gods love reign down. Sometimes that is in my neighborhood, another country, at the store or for the most part it tends to be in my own marriage lately. Love it!

Rhonda said...

Thanks for sharing this article. Shane Claiborne's book Irresistible Revolution is on my book wish list this year.