Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Girling's are in Town












Most of you know, I lived with the Girling family for a year and a half and nannied their four children. During my college years they really became family to me. But when I first arrived in Dallas, Julia (the cute blondie above) was 5 months old and she is now 9! My gosh. Yeah, this is the first time I've actually felt like an old grown up.

After Stephen and I got married, they moved (with all four children) to Malaysia and began to live among the Malay people. As I was listening to their stories, I thought to myself, "Who wouldn't want to be a missionary?" I shared that thought with Stephen this morning and he said, "Lots of people." That is hard for me to wrap my mind around. I can't imagine anything that would make me happier, honestly. And I think that God's putting his finger on something inside of me again, something that had to die for a season. I desire to live overseas and really, deeply love people, people in another country. I'm open to that again (tears streaming down my face) and I feel hope that I haven't had in a while. We'll see what God opens up.

On a slightly more shallow note, I've been baking lately. And after making 5 dozen oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (with copious amounts of butter) and 3 dozen red velvet cupcakes with homemade cream cheese icing....my pants are tight. Further evidence that I'm not a baker. No will power over here. And I think I'm done with dessert for like three months. No kidding.

7 comments:

Vicki said...

I have been thinking abou tthem. So nice to see them. How long are they here for? I love that the Lord is stirring your heart again:))

Eileen said...

Of probably anyone I know, you are the most open to truly listening to God and following his direction, wherever that may lead. I'm proud of you. Love you.

Christy said...

I cant relate to that mentality either cause God has ALWAYS laid the desire on my heart to be in another country serving. When I met Dan and chose to marry; I chose to follow his lead and that has us here but I DO take opportunitys to serve when there are trips and another thing God has rally laid on my heart is that for this season in my life my family is my mission field and I need to keep my heart and mind focused on serving here. I can totally relate to where you are coming from though. That desire God has given you will never die he may just redirect it here and there. :)

Jessica said...

You are amazing, and wherever you are living... you love on those around you... it's one of your gifts :) Know that while you're here in the US, you still impact many people!

On a sidenote... I love the kitchen in that house!

Kathie said...

Just want to say I hear I, I hear you. I know the thrill and the ache of His finger on my heart, and I both smiled and wept for you; there's nothing like it. Thanks for sharing, Crystal.

Rhonda said...

Bruce and I often talk about retiring in the mission field. But God has shown me just how much of a mission field I LIVE in. I don't have to live in another country to be a missionary. It just takes a missionary's heart and calling. Sounds like you've got that, so until God takes you somewhere else, be the missionary He made you right where you are. I mean, you already know the language and culture, you've got a HUGE head start! And if God wants to take you to another country one day, God will change Stephen's heart to want it too, AND you'll have lots of practice. I'm going to be praying for you - that God will show you how He wants to use that calling where you are, and that He will call Stephen where He might want to take you.
It's no wonder I like you so much.
I've always said that missionaries are my favorite people to hang out with.

Shipra Panosian said...

Oh Crystal, I didn't know that you had a desire to live and serve God overseas! Anywhere in particular?

I wish I could have been there. The Girlings are a very special family and I would have loved to hear and see all that God is doing with them in Malaysia. Plus, it looks like you got to hang with some of my favorite people, the Rodriguezes.