Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Filing Cabinet, stage 1

Let me open by saying that stripping wood of it's previous stain is not for the faint hearted (or the impatient, like moi). Not at all. My original plan was to strip, stain, and finish this bad boy on my day off yesterday. Phhfftt cha right. At 8:30pm I was still finishing the last of the stripping phase. Here it went:

Apply stripping solvent (recommended by Home Depot man, who had never stripped wood before. First mistake.):




No change. Scrape scrape scrape. Repeat five times. Scrape scrape scrape scrape. Four hours later, go back to Home Depot with half used can of stripping solvent. Exchange for a new can, this one recommended by a furniture staining guru. (First success.) Vuahlah, it's coming off:



And still coming.....



Now to release the last bit of the stain, in the cracks and such, I steel wooled this baby (props again to guru man):



Break for a quick dinner.

Now wash it all down with a combo of TSP and a little bit of laundry detergent (guru man saved me $4 and 1/2 hour time here). (Notice, it's night time now):




Stage one down, only three more to go. (And I must confess, waking up to this bare cabinet made me feel slightly man-cool, you know like my muscles are big and stuff):

4 comments:

Christy said...

loving it so far friend! You rock! Like man rock I mean. ;)

Jessica said...

We did that one time.... and only one time :) You are very right in that it's a lot of work. At least you're doing it the right way... otherwise it ends up looking icky pretty quickly. I can't wait to see the finished product :)

Jen said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and entering my giveaway! I haven't seen Jane in a long time but I love her lots!

Hope your project goes well. Stripping wood is one of my least favorite things to do, although I think it looks great when it's finished!

Eileen said...

I can relate. What are you going to do with it now? You should talk to me about refinishing... done it SO MANY times... imagine stripping paint off an antique dresser that had been painted SEVEN times... layer by layer. Phew!