Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Psalm 22



I was reading Psalm 22 the other day and it hit me that the first 21 verses are all about the psalmist's trial, his time of deep suffering. And the last 9 are an eruption of praise because God "answered him". This really registered with me. I grabbed my Starbucks receipt and quickly scribbled my notes on the back. One cool thing is that the psalmist was totally honest with God, he aired his frustration and pointed out the fact that God had helped his "fathers" but seemed to be absent for him.
He was honest with his doubt. However, the one thing that the psalmist continued to do (despite his disbelief) was ask God for help. And God responded. I've been writing a lot of my thoughts down lately about my life, my marriage, my mom's alcoholism, and my journey in general over the past few years and this is a theme that has come up a lot for me. When I call, He answers (eventually). And yet it still amazes me when I read that very thing happening for someone else in the Bible. I'm grateful that He let's us have our journey and the lessons that come with it. And I'm so grateful that when our trust wavers, God's love for us doesn't.

6 comments:

Jolene Grace said...

What a beautiful reminder, and so relevant. Isn't the bible filled with such trials and answers? Sarah, Hannah, Job, David...they all had to wait for their answers, but couldn't have dreamt of the blessings that would come in such answers. I love you girl. Blessings to you. XOXOXOXO

mommy4 said...

Oh Crystal you have no idea how timely this is for us. The only constant is the Lord, He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. It's only our humanly flesh that wavers so much. I sometimes HATE how I can be like the Israelites and quickly forget all that He has done for us and doubt so much. Thank you Jesus that you love us so much even in our doubt. Thank you for sharing this. I'm happy that you are journaling more, I've recently encouraged Lexy to do so. We should hang out soon.

Kathie said...

Isn't the honesty we can have before God just amazing?

Jessica said...

What a wonderful post and great reminder :) Thanks for blessing me with it! I love you girl!

Christy said...

Thanks for the thoughtful post. SO encouraged that his love never wavers and that the suffering here is only temporary for those who continuly call on his name.

Shipra Panosian said...

Crystal, what a wonderful post about his faithfulness in answering us. I am so grateful that He has loved me through all the times I've yelled at him for being 'absent' and allowed me to be honest with Him.