Monday, May 11, 2009

Our weekend...

Stephen surprised me on Thursday and told me he found a deal on hotwire.com for a nice hotel. So we spent Friday and Saturday night at Holiday Inn Express in Addison and it was GREAT, here's our room:



Then we attended a discussion hosted by whom I now consider one of my favorite speakers "ever", John Eldredge. His message was titled "Fathered By God":

Our Program (backwards I know, it won't save correctly!):





I would encourage everyone to purchase this book "Fathered By God". He broke up the stages in a man's life according to roles and he characterized each role according to the age period in a man's life.
He also talked about the wounds that occur if the father isn't present or isn't able to lovingly father in any given stage.

What sets John Eldredge apart in my mind is that he approaches his relationship God and his process of letting God heal him in the most unconventional, yet authentic way I've seen. His love and deep deep passion for Jesus is contagious. As he opens in prayer, you feel goosebumps and the welling of hot tears at the sincerity of his pure love relationship with God. And his message is no different, he captivates you the entire hour and half.

A PODCAST is also available of the message we heard on Friday night. And if you haven't already read "Waking the Dead" that is another book that turned my faith and my approach to art & life & creativity upside down. He's also the author of "Wild at Heart" and "The Sacred Romance".



Then Saturday afternoon we watched the Mavericks game at the Bunkers house. I made my spinach salad and the guys broiled chicken (what proved to be a dangerous undertaking). Stephen got some shots of Caleb (not) eating his pears:





And Sunday we participated in our dear friend Lindsey's dedication of her son, Cayden. We have been privileged to walk life with Lindsey over the past year and witness God do such amazing things in her heart and her relationships. Her innocent faith is so fresh and it has really renewed parts of my trust in God that had grown cold.




And just for kicks, here's one of my new roommates, Dixie. She actually thinks she's Stephen's girlfriend. When I hug him she aggressively barks and tries to jump me. (And no this isn't our dog, this is one of Stephen's parents' boxers...the other boxer is my baby, pictures for sure to come).

5 comments:

Vicki said...

What a fun weekend. That book sounds interesting. You are blessed with a good hubby!!

Christy said...

Glad you got away. Sounds like a nice weekend. I LOVE boxers so if you want to ditch Stephens new girlfriend I will gladly take her. :)

Rhonda said...

How cool to have a baby dedicated on Mother's Day.
And if you haven't read it, Captivating by Staci Eldredge is just as awesome as any of John Eldredge's book.

Kathie said...

Wow, what a treat to hear him speak. The Sacred Romance is part of what shook up my faith in a good way, and launched me into the whole change of career thing. Very cool!

Eileen said...

Great to hear about your awesome weekend. Miss you!