Friday, May 22, 2009

Crafty Itch...





I've been wanting to make my friend Jenny a necklace for her birthday similar to THIS necklace from Anthropologie. I went to Anthro and studied it twice. But as I looked through the fabric selections at Joann's and Hobby Lobby, I realized it's almost impossible to buy that type of chiffon (textured, doesn't easily fray) so I saw THIS post about felt yesterday and my wheels starting turning. Then my friend Jessica emailed me THIS link (btw Jess, I love that you send me little crafty project ideas, it makes my day :) and I put it all together. And some of you seamstresses won't like this, but I didn't stitch a thing---I used a fine tipped hot glue gun for every detail (one of my most brilliant purchases ever). Now truthfully, I'm not so proud of this necklace, it's a little too homespun for my liking, but it's the first time I've been crafty in a while and it felt really good to create something. And Jenny is one of the few friends that I know could rock a necklace made out of felt.
My personal opinion is that if you wear a shirt with a neckline that follows the necklace it kinda looks like it's part of the shirt and it works.

Happy 3-day weekend everybody. We may go to the Fort Worth Zoo, what are you going to do?

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

Oh the zoo sounds like fun. Maybe we will copy you and go to the zoo too. Molly has never been and LOVES animals. I keep saying that we need to get her to the zoo.

Jessica said...

I love it, very cute :) I'm really into flowers lately, I'm dying to make some frayed flowers out of material, but I haven't had the chance yet. It's so fun to craft and create, I'm glad you had the chance :)

Christy said...

Sounds fun and I think you did great on the necklace. Way to get creative and make it work. No zoo for us just haning out and maybe BBQ or something. Have a safe weekend friend.

Shipra Panosian said...

Such a clever adaptation. I love handmade over storebought anyday. And I didn't realise you could get fine-tipped glue guns. Must check that out.
I went to goodwill over the w-end and saw a lovely pale aqua lambswool sweater which I walked away from and have been dreaming about ever since. I'm going to have to go back for it. I want to try my hand at felting my own wool and think that sweater would be beautiful felted and then cut up into...oh...anything...:) Might have to try use it for some flower embellishments myself.

Would love to do a beanie for sumthin' trade with you. Do you want a boy-girl-neutral one or a girly one (so much more fun and pretty)?? Let me know.