Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Last Night I was remembering....

Several defining moments in my life when God showed me He was there. And I think it's important to recall such things because they remind me of His steady love for us. So I'll share:



1) About 9 years ago, when I was at the Teen Maina Honor Academy, my mom ordered me a coffee pot. She ordered this coffee pot on a Thursday. Unbeknownst to me, they told her that the coffee pot was on back order so it would take a minimum of two weeks to arrive. In the meantime, I prayed privately and asked God to deliver the coffee pot on Friday (because I was having a meeting and I thought it would be special to serve coffee). The coffee pot was on my desk Friday morning. I knew that God did that for me. And I called my mom ecstatic (not knowing about the back order thing) and she was blown away. Now this may sound trite because I've prayed for much much bigger things in my life (like people to healed and then they pass away), but this was a moment in my life that God just wanted to wink at me and let me know He hears me and I'm His daughter. And really I can't think of another time that something like this has happened again. But at that point, this did wonders for my childlike faith.






2) In 2003, I approached my parents about giving me their blessing to go to Afghanistan to teach English. My mother's words exactly were, "Over my dead body. I'll never give you my blessing to go there." And I told her that I wouldn't go without her blessing. So, the next day when we were lying on her bed watching TV, I brought it up again and just gave her some more background. She asked me how much money I had to raise and I told her $10,000, to which she responded, "If you can raise $10,000 I'll believe this is God and I'll give you my blessing." So with God's help, I raised $10,000. And the night before I left, she called and told me that she wanted to me know that I had her full and complete blessing. God showed me that He had it handled the entire time.

And a side note...when I got back from Afghanistan about 4.5 months later, I was put in ICU for viral meningitis. Needless to say, this put me out of commission for quite a while. And even after two months of being in bed in California, another full month of recovery in Dallas, and a bunch of medical bills, my mom still said that if we had to go back and do it all over she would, because she really believed that it was God's will that I went to Afghanistan.







3) And most recently was my wedding day. I prayed for several months that I wouldn't be "bridezilla". You see, for most of my life there's been a control beast that comes out on special occasions and it tries to sabotage my peace and joy. And because I knew my wedding was like the pinnacle of my party planning, I prayed about this a lot. And you know what? My wedding day was a dream. And not one single thing set me off. God filled me with peace and I let the little things go. And really this was so clearly God showing me that He was there, right there.

It's so important that I remind myself of moments like these because I can't always "feel" Him. But He is always there, and I am so grateful.

9 comments:

Christy said...

thank you for that very sweet post my friend. My heart is very heavy for a few friends who are hurting tonight and your post was a good reminder of the God I serve. I love you.

Life on The Rowland Ranch said...

Love you, my friend. You are precious to Him.

Kathie said...

I LOVE being winked at by Him and being His daughter! What sweet recollections these are :)

Rhonda said...

Great post. I used to keep a journal where I just jotted down the moments (be them big or small) where I knew God was there. I think I need to do that again.

Jessica said...

What a cool post, I love it :) Thanks for sharing.

Vicki said...

What a great post, God is GOOD isn't he?

Jolene Grace said...

I'm almost in tears, my sweet friend. What a beautiful post. God is so faithful to us, and if we thought about it we would see lots of "winks" in our past. Thank you for the reminder that I need to sit and reflect on these precious moments between my Abba and me. XOXOX

Shipra Panosian said...

I loved this post. I needed to remember this today. He cares about everything in our lives, from coffee pots, to calling, to our character.

BTW, I had no idea you contracted viral meningitis???? Woah. And what a powerful statement for your mom to make, that she'd do it all again because of her confidence that you were in God's will.

Eileen said...

Beautiful. Praise God from whom all blessings flow.