Thursday, March 12, 2009

If I owned a house....

I would try and incorporate these simple details. b/c they wouldn't break the bank, but still transform the overall style of our home:

Nice steel, creatively spaced, HOUSE NUMBERS:



Mixing and matching TILES. Not just going for all the same look. This may be my personal taste too, I don't like "matchy matchy" :). (btw, Jolene, you got me looking at backsplash tiles like crazy one day. i can't wait to see your final product! ;).





Overkill with the pillows, I know. But I have always had an affinity for PILLOWS. They're such cheap transformation. And I've recently become more willing to mix colors that I would've never thought of mixing (ie; magenta & navy; purple & yellow; black with jewel tones; orange & I'm not sure exactly---I just love orange lately).










DOORS!!!! Ask Stephen how often he hears me say, "I just think a good door transforms the entire look of house." He's heard me say that, no exaggeration, 15 times at least. (I've said it about 115 in my head). I have yet to take pictures of some homes in our neighborhood with awesome doors (they're are a lot, b/c we live in a part of town where most of the houses were built a long time ago). But here's a very basic idea of what I mean:









HARDWARE on dressers and cabinets and doors (this I would also mix and match):





A unique CHANDELIER, I really like this one from Pottery Barn:




Last, but certainly not least....painting A MURAL on the wall (this would be where my hubby's amazing artistic skillz would come into play).
Or hanging A SOLID COLORED CANVAS or WALLPAPER:







(I love subtle comedy in decorating).


(And I LOVE how they used an unobtrusive filing cabinet as an end table).

So for now, I'll continue to enjoy my charming little duplex and sew pillows, rearrange furniture, and dream of what I'll decorate next...

7 comments:

Eileen said...

VERY cute ideas... have we been looking at houses again? I'd love to go house hunting with you someday!!!!

Jessica said...

Cute post and cute ideas! Come help me because I'm scared of bright color but I love it :) I really do wish you could come help me decorate!

Shipra Panosian said...

I'm with you on the pillow thing. Pillows, and paint can totally transform a room.
Love the wall decal idea too, seems like there are more and more places offering decals to spruce up a wall. Etsy has some great nature wall decals like birds on branches and things, for such a reasonable price.

Jolene Grace said...

Danny and I agree: you have such great style, Crystal. I loved the site you sent me on backsplash tiles. We have decided what we will do, but I am going to wait to post about it until we start the project. ;-) I love doors too...especially ones with glass (like french doors). You will have the raddest house around when you guys are ready to buy! :-) XOXO

Christy said...

oh ya' I can see it now. :)

b.mofoto said...

WOW...great minds think alike :). I actually own some of those drawer pulls. Picked out that very chandelier in Potter Barn and I HEART pillows.

Anthro has this fantastic feather wallpaper that I want to buy and frame it as art. Just thought I'd share :).

Chelle said...

you know, carl and i need to paint the wood trim on our house... and the front door. if y'all want to practice...