Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Opposites Attract

I was making a mental list tonight (as I put dinner leftovers into a Tupperware container) of the ways in which Stephen and I are different and how I've grown to appreciate those differences (well...most of them that is;). In advance, please have grace on my snobberies. Here they go:

1) Stephen is a saver, I am a spender. (And he manages the budget---smart move huh?). But let me elaborate on this difference for a moment. I hate leftovers, he lives for them. I'd rather toss those last six bites down the drain (I know, I know I've actually been to several of those countries in Africa), but he'll eat it if it's on the verge of growing things. He's the saver, I'm the spender. He utilizes every penny put into each ball point pen, I throw them out when they start to lose color. BUT I've learned so much from him in this area, and he has helped me grow tremendously. I'm actually seeing the benefit in saving (not leftovers, but cash).

2) Stephen buys in bulk, I buy meat, frozen fruit, & nuts in bulk, that's it. (And I do the grocery shopping---smart move huh?). I can't stand having too much, unless I'm cooking for a group. We have so little cupboard space, our pantry is a tiny shelf on the bottom of the free standing island in our kitchen, that there isn't room for 24 cans of green beans or 3lbs of bananas. And I like to keep things aesthetically pleasing and somewhat organized. When you buy in bulk and live in a small space, it becomes about how creatively you can fit this surplus of paper towels in the corners next to the fridge or trash cans. Urgh, no thank you! However, don't get me wrong, I love having a full fridge, just not full of all of the same thing. We've never gone to Sam's Club or Costco together (and I hope to keep it that way;). Maybe when we own a house and can store things in a garage or pantry we'll have our first wholesale date. But then again, maybe not.

3) Stephen loves speaker phone, I think it's the most impersonal form of communication. Okay, but hear how cute I think my hubby is because of this. He often wants me to hear what the person on the other end is saying so that I can be a part of the conversation too. I love this about him :). However, I don't love when he talks to me on speaker phone.

4) Stephen's punctual, I'm fashionably late. A Keilers value is timeliness. Let me paint a vivid picture here....Two Thanksgiving's ago my dear friend Anna and I were going to Stephen's parents house for Turkey dinner. Stephen's mom told us to be there around noon. Being the tardy prone girl that I am, I paid attention to the "around" part of that statement. So, at 12:10pm Stephen calls my cell phone, as Anna and I are checking out at Central Market with a big bouquet of lillies and truffle chocolates, and he asks where we are. I very innocently said, "We're checking out at the grocery store, we should be there in about 15 minutes." He said, "My mom said that the food's ready, on the table." I laughed because I sincerely thought that he was pulling my leg. He wasn't. He was completely serious. They were sweet and embracing when we got there (they didn't make us eat cold mashed potatoes), but that was a lesson well learned. The Keilers value punctuality and when they say be there "around" noon, it means we'll eat at 12:05. (And I actually really like being early to things now, all thanks to my man).

5) Stephen likes loud volumes & he frequently uses the "scan" button, I like quiet or no music & I reserve the scan button for when I'm traveling in a rental car & don't know the local radio stations. This one needs no commentary.

Okay, I'll have to end with the main area where we're alike. We both have very sensitive hearts. For a guy, Stephen is very sensitive, he's able to communicate with other men about emotional issues and he cries almost every time he worships God. I am also very sensitive and thankfully, both of my parents have nurtured the "feeling" side of me (so I like "feel" every thing). I too cry when I talk about God and what he's done in my life and when I worship him (esp songs that talk about God rescuing me). So there you have it. A transparent window into our married world...warts and all :).

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Ahhhh, I love it :) I love windows like that, especially when I live far :) Thanks for sharing!

Christy said...

thanks for sharing. its always great to look at the "up" sides of the things we are different about. Dan and I are starting to become more alike after twelve years of marriage although if we start to look alike & dress alike(like some couples) I am soooo putting my foot down! He,heee!

Eileen said...

I love your transparency! That was a fun read!!!